Sunday, November 30, 2008

Giving Thanks

It’s that time of year again – the most wonderful time or something like that – time for food and football and ah, yes, the “F” word: Family. Our holiday season is kicked off with the overeaters’ favorite and the first installation of crowded living rooms and dining rooms the country over – Thanksgiving. My Thanksgiving definitely got me thinking about changing times and what Family really is and with a divorce rate generally lingering around fifty percent, I wondered how my thankful table matched up with others. I have come to think the picture of my little table this past Thursday was a modern Norman Rockwell.

Here is how we were seated: the heads of the table were occupied by me and my live-in boyfriend; the innards were filled with my three sons and my ex-husband. Yes, my EX husband and father of my children. I know it sounds crazy to many. The people to whom I recited my turkey day guest list all looked back at me with eyes that, I swear, had those cartoon black-and-white spirals swirling around. The funny thing about my family is I live next door to my ex. When my children spend an evening or a weekend with their dad, they simply walk next door; if they forget to bring something to dad’s, there is a rap at the door followed by a, “Sorry, Mom. I need my…” and this works for us. Quite well, actually. So when November rolled around, my boyfriend and I had a conversation about inviting the ex to our table. There was never a hesitation or any doubt my ex-husband would be invited. The only question was whether or not he would accept.

Well, he did. Initially. Then after a spirited difference of opinions a few weeks prior to Thanksgiving, my ex-husband told my oldest son (the one most attached to him) over the phone that he would not be attending our feast. The look on my son’s face as he received the news was torturous. My boyfriend, a child of divorce with a neglectful father, couldn’t bear to see the hurt in my son’s eyes. So much so that, of his own volition, my boyfriend called my ex-husband and asked him to put aside any differences or hurt feelings and sit with us for a few hours on a special Thursday not for me, not for him, but for three little boys who never asked to be a part of this familial rearranging. And he did.

So there we were, our little dysfunctional family celebrating our first dysfunctional Thanksgiving, going around the table sharing with each other one thing we were thankful for. When the wave of thanks reached my ex-husband there was a pause and then this: “I am thankful for a phone call that talked me into getting over myself and coming here to celebrate with my family.”

I have so much to be thankful for.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was actually a really fun essay. Well done, and good job. BTW, if you have the time to visit Abby's blog before the deadline, here it is: amyskowski.blogspot.com

Perfectionist World said...

Your current boyfriend is a gentlement. It must be hard for some guys to be nice to their girlfriend's ex. I'm glad you found THE one.

Cassandra Lee said...

Myself a child of divorced parents, having my mother have a live-in beau as you do I absolutely love this story. My father (living in Maine) has never gotten "over himself". Good to hear your ex was wise enough to partake in a holiday that will be a fond memory of your children :) So sad to see another semester going. I will need a COMPLETE AND DETAILED list of your classes next semester BTW haha

Tanya Darling said...

When you read your story in class, I had to work hard to hold back the tears. I'm so glad your EX "got over himself." Your sons must have been so happy to have both of their parents at Thanksgiving dinner table with them. Congratulations on your new man; he's a keeper!

Ashlee said...

I will tell you that I did have tears in my eyes reading the ending to that. Not only did you write that oh so well, I can relate too. My parents are divorced and for almost eight years, they still can't get over themselves. HA! that would be the day that we have a thanksgiving with ma and pop and their significant others around the table...that is really good of him to do that for the children...hardly dysfunctional! :)

Anna Gdanian said...

Meghan!
It made me cry in class when I had only heard the end...and it made me cry when I read the whole thing again just now. That is a beautiful story, I think that you are an amazing person! you have worked hard and it has been SO nice meeting you more and more as we have had a few classes together. I am going to be sad to not have any more with you although, I am glad to be done!
Thanks for posting the essay on your blog so I had the chance to read the whole thing! You are a beautiful writer.

Andy said...

Wicked cool! Not gonna lie, I almost got a little misty there for a sec, but I'm good, I'm good. Just got a little someting stuck in my eye is all... Seriously though, really well written and a very nice story, Kudos to you! :-D

Lindsey said...

Modern day Brady bunch! As the family unit evolves, the situation that you described has become more and more typical. PS: Talk about neighborly love!

brendongreeley said...

Well Done! I really enjoyed reading that.

Mike Whit said...

That is really great Meghan. My family is fairly dysfunctional and I don't know how to put it back together. Sadly we were not all together on the holiday, but I am glad to hear that you were. Hope the years ahead go just as well for you.

abby said...

Even though it might've been unusual it sounds like you had a really great Thanksgiving. Your boyfriend sounds really great. He's a keeper!