Friday, November 7, 2008

A clebration of awesomeness

I was trying to decide what in the world I should blog about. I am fine when I have a specific assignment but when given a blank slate, nothing! So I finished dinner with my boys and said, "Ugh! What should I blog about?" My oldest son said, "The Steelers!" My boyfriend said, "Blog about how sick you have been all week." Then my middle son said, "Blog about how awesome I am!" And there I had it. He is pretty awesome. All three boys are. Sadly, my hectic schedule takes me away from them more than I would like and Jake is right - I need to stop and remember how awesome they are.

When I found out I was pregnant with my second son, I couldn't imagine being able to love another child as much as I loved my first. I was so upset at the thought of that and upset at the idea of my uber-loved first son having to learn how to share his mother's love that I cried. A lot. The funny thing is, when they were both in my life I discovered how much room the human heart really has. We have such an amazing capacity for love and we simply fall short all too often. After three children you discover each one is different, each one is special, each one needs and deserves their own special version of love. When we stop to think about that, which I am convinced we don't do nearly enough, isn't that the human condition? Isn't that what we need to understand about each other? We should stop being so critical of one another and remember at one point we were each the child who needed our own special brand of love.

So this is what I am going to try to remember going forward: we all need love, kindness, and understanding, we all have unimaginable space in us to give that to others, and my kids are awesome!

2 comments:

biscotti dana said...

Well stated, moving, and meaningful. I'm thankful I did NOT assign a specific topic. Thanks for sharing this!

Cassandra Lee said...

"I discovered how much room the human heart really has."

It's endless. The heart-cup never runniths over. Thank goodness! :) Beautifully written. I think your sons deserve an extra treat for help Mom with her homework assignment ha