Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The End of Another Semester

And here we are. The end (almost and not soon enough) of another semester. I have to say I cannot wait until it is over. This semester has been one of the worst for me. I had my life turned upside down (yet again) at the end of last semester and I think that resulted in great difficulty geting motivated and involved this go-'round. And, as usual, I am here at the end - one week to go - and am knee-deep in two research projects that aren't done.

I had a mental break down the other night after class. I had gone to the library and asked one of the librarians (who I know from the CAE) a research question. Well, I suddenly found myself crying in the librarian hangout. After a fantastic pep talk, I wiped my eyes, blew my nose, and decided to head home and to not think about school that night. On my way out I passed a student and he reminded me I was to sit in on Freshman Orientation as a student leader right then. Crap. I asked him if I looked okay and he said, "Well you look like you could kill somebody but..." I gathered my strength and tried to look happy and positive for the incoming UNHM students.

At one point I was asked to say what I saw as one highlight of UNHM. I thought about my day and said, "We are like a family here. Twenty minutes ago I was a mess and I turned to people I didn't even know a year and a half ago who made me feel better. I only know them through UNHM." People can say what they want about our school but I have to say this - I consider myself very lucky to be in this place at this time. Even if I can't wait for the semester to end.

4 comments:

Cassandra Lee said...

It's true. I had my doubts swapping from the Durham campus to here, but Manch is an amazing place. I'm glad you've been a few of my classes pretty lady :) Again- I need to know what you're taking next semester ha I neeeeeed you in my life :)

Allison Cote said...

And this is one of the big reasons why I didn't go away. :) I didn't want to be just another student. It's great that when I see professors or staff around campus they know my name and are always offering assistance anyway they can.

I've had those tearful breakdowns this semester, as well, mine mostly likely for different reasons, but stil...This semester did seem kind of difficult in terms of getting up and going. I was pumped to be back after working everday during the summer, but then I found myself bogged down with homework. UGH!

Meghan, you've always been great fun to have in class; hopefully, I'll see you sometime next semester!

Stacy said...

I am sorry that things have been tough for you... I have to say I am in the same boat. But you seem to be a strong woman and you will get through this... You have survived three boys on your own. You can do anything and always remember that!

biscotti dana said...

Oy. If only we could leave our tears by the side of the road. And yet, it's so cleansing: a good cry. Even if there's a momentary flicker of embarrassment or guilt. There's something so refreshing about being human, huh?

Congratulations on finishing yet another semester. And on your smooth recovery to welcome new UNHM family members. Hope to see you round these hallowed halls, and maybe even in another class of mine, in the future!

Enjoy your holidays.

Cheers,
Dana