Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Do we ever REALLY grow up?

In our latest assigned addition to our blogs, my media writing class has to write about what we wanted to be when we were young, what we wanted to be when we were teens, and what we want to be now. This gets really tricky for me. You see, I often feel as though I am living my life in reverse. For now, here is what I can best recall...

As a kid, I never wanted to be anything specific. The only thing I was sure of was I wanted to be very successful at something. Anything. Maybe an actress. I wanted my parents to send me to a school of fine arts when I was in sixth grade but that didn't work out. By the time I was in high school, I wanted to go to chiropractic college. In the end, my best friend did the chiropractor thing and is very happy and successful. After high school, I went to what I lovingly call 13th grade (a local college) but didn't take any of that experience seriously and dropped out. Next thing you know I was married, had three kids, moved far away, and was staying at home raising my children.

After having put my life (my selfish "me" life) on hold for over six years, I had a strong sense that it was now my time: time for me to decide where I wanted the rest of my life to go and how to make that happen. So here I am, a Junior at UNH Manchester, plugging away at a degree in Communication Arts. I have thought about many things I might want to do. Originally, I wanted to be a sports broadcaster, maybe sports journalist; sometimes I want to be a community relations person for a local sports franchise. I love sports so any excuse to get paid to watch or work in sports would be wonderful, let's face it. Other times I think about continuing my education and becoming a college professor, but at 36, that seems so incredibly challenging.

Long blog short, I am not much closer to knowing what I want to be at 36 than I was at six. I don't know where I will be in five, ten, or twenty years. However, what I DO know is I am the only one who can make anything happen and school is the way to get wherever that may be. I hope what I do, my hard work, my effort, my sacrifice, and my struggle serve as an example to my children of making your life the way you want it to be. I am poor, I am tired, and I am too often out of mental strength, but the sense of pride in accomplishing my dream of a college degree will, well, I'll just say I can't wait to feel that!

4 comments:

biscotti dana said...

You're an inspiration! Your boys are so lucky to have you in their life. Whatever it is you do next, I know you'll do it well.

Mike Whit said...

I don't think you are selfish at all. If anything you are patient. To wait all this time to attend to yourself. Your also smart trying to mix the two things you enjoy together, communications and sports. Keep it up and I sure you will be proud.

Cassandra Lee said...

UNHM has given me the privelege and pleasure of learning alongisde you for the past semesters. You are a lovely person with the level head I strive so hard to have. You work your buns off in class and outside, raising a beautiful family and still survivng, only sometimes relying on caffiene for a boost. You are an inspirtation lady. Whatever you do, wherever life after UNHM takes you it will be wonderful. Beautiful things surround beautiful people :)

Perfectionist World said...

Everyone has the right to pursue their dreams, so do you. Your kids will be proud of your decisions.